Thursday, January 10, 2008

"This is one lucky boy..."


The above quote was from Britton's neonatologist today. Considering that this doc is known around here as Dr. Doom & Gloom, we were guarding ourselves for the negative feedback on little Britton's condition. Instead, he was quite encouraging and gave us a really good report ... summing it up with the statement -- "This is one lucky boy." We of course know it is divine providence at work.

So here's the nitty gritty:
* The radiology report on Britton's brain ultrasound were NORMAL! We were praying & hoping that the brain bleed would be held to stage 1 or 2 level (referring to how much blood is on the brain), as opposed to a 3 or 4. Instead the result was even better than a Stage 1. It was a normal ultrasound, meaning there was no blood found in the ventricles of the brain.
* His kidneys are picking up. He's had 48+ ccs of urine in the last 12 hours. The doctor said he believes his kidneys will return to full function. Though kidney function is a big concern, we are grateful that the docs are thinking he likely won't have a problem here.
* They are lowering the level of his CPAP (nasal tube providing room air) because his oxygen saturation levels are holding steady. They will continue to wean him off the CPAP throughout the night & tomorrow. Thankfully, he did not have to go back on the ventilator last night, as was a possibility.
* The morning will mark the end of 72 hours that Britton has been on the cooling therapy. His body has been at a temperature of 91 degrees. So, beginning at 9:30 a.m., they they will slowly start warming him up. It will take 48 hours to bring his body temp back to a normal level.
* Emily is doing better every day. The entire birth took less than 10 minutes so we pray the healing will be reflective of that expediency. Our emotions wane, but we have been praying since day 1.

What is to come?
We are waiting for all of the big neurological tests to take place on Monday (MRI, EEG & EKG). This will show how much damage was done by the oxygen deprivation, and will give us a clearer picture of how much bleeding occurred in the brain (a better picture than the ultrasound gave us). We have been very encouraged by the ultrasound report from today, but we realize that Britton is still in very critical condition. We just hope & pray & trust that today's report is a good start on the test reports that we'll get early next week.

Pray for Britton as he comes off the cooling blanket! Pray that his brain was undamaged by the oxygen loss that occurred as a result of the placental abruption. We just hope that there was only very little time that he was without blood & oxygen. We talked to the doctor who performed the emergency c-section today. I asked how much time passed between when he called the stat c-section and when the baby was born, and it was b/n 6 and 8 minutes. It would have been a minute or two shorter had an operating room near where we were had been open. Instead they had to rush me to another side of the hospital for an open OR. I'm still darn impressed that they were able to knock Emily out and get the baby out in just a handful of minutes. Praise the Lord for a doctor who moved fast!

Now, here are a few pictures from today:
Emily got to prop his head up today to pose for a picture. This is the closest we have gotten to holding him.


The three of us.


A close up of our little miracle taken tonight. His eyes and lips are swollen today from all the excess fluid they are giving him.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, this is such heartening news!!!! We will keep praying for Britton's (and Em's!) continued strength and healing. Danny, you too have been amazing. You are each a blessing to each other. Our hearts, thoughts, prayers, and love are with you all!

Anonymous said...

Danny and Emily, Praise God for the great news today! I will not cease praying for Britton. I pray that the great results will continue with the further tests. Love ya'll ! Know that there are many down here in Houston lifting ya'll up.

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Praise the Lord for the encouraging news and good reports today! It's so wonderful to hear that Emily is feeling better today...and also that good reports came from the neonatologist today..that is awesome! I will definitely continue to keep little Britton in my prayers!! My heart was filled with joy as I read your blogs today.. Danny and Emily, ya'll are both in my prayers each day and I know in my heart that God has something amazing in store for little Britton and your family!! I'm praying for amazing, miraculous test results in these next few weeks!(this is your nurse from wednesday evening 3p-11p, Katie Goggans:)

Elenturi said...

Praise the Lord and may He continue to prove He is the Great Physician and Miracle Worker.
Britton is adorable.
I continue to pray for all three of you and will continue to check this blog for updates.

Anonymous said...

I am overjoyed with this news - tears of joy fill my eyes! The latest pictures are beautiful.

He is blessed, indeed.

Anonymous said...

here is raluk....an ex-Richard Wurmbrand student, now 2nd year college sudent....
I was so happy when I've found out about you and your little treasure:)...
I've been there too...I was born after the radioactive explosion from Cernobal...my mom had many times spontanious miscarriages...and I have to stay in an incubator after I was born for 12 day...but God was good to me....now I'm a healthy young woman....this summer I'll get marry....and in a few year I will have kids my own, though the doctors then said that are few chances for me to live....what's in Gods plan for us no one can change...
I know that God has a special plan for you too, so heng on... He's right beside you...
Blessings:)

Anonymous said...

hurray, we are so greatful to God for the miracles He is doing in your lives. We are praying for you!

Anonymous said...

All of us at Richard Wurmbrand are praying for you. Everybody is so excited about all the news. It is like Britton is Romanian. We already adopted him as one of our own. We love you and we give you a big hug!
Rebeca and Cristian from Iasi

Sarah Largen said...

Danny & Emily,
This is so encouraging. I'm so grateful for this report. Thank you so much for keeping us updated, I know it takes time to do these entries, but it makes us seem right there with you. I'm so proud of you two and the parents you are to this little guy.

sarah & tim

Anonymous said...

I have to say I teared up reading the recent good news! What a miracle this little guy is! Emily, you look so good in the pictures....you are such a testimony of strength. I can't even begin to imagine the roller coaster of emotions you must be feeling. And Danny, Emily wouldn't be able to get out of bed without your strong spiritual leadership. I have loved reading your posts and the frequent references to scripture. In the midst of this crisis it is so hard to see what the Lord's plan is, but He's got one and I can't wait to hear little Britton's testimony when he's older!

The Giffen Family said...

Love seeing the new pics (wish I could meet him in person...Will and I are jealous) "Uncle Ryan" has been bragging about all his visits :) Praise the Lord for all He has already done in Britton's life and we know He will continue to do! He looks good and so does his mama!
Love to all 3 of you!
Aunt Danica & Cousin Will

Anonymous said...

It's fantastic that you are getting ideas from this article as well as from our discussion made at this place.

Also visit my weblog - weightloss diets