Thursday, January 10, 2008

Day 3 - Lean Hard!

I couldn't sleep last night so at about midnight, I went to go hang out with Britton. I received some encouraging news. He has had some dips in his oxygen saturation which they haven't been able to explain. They think they may be related to little seizures so they gave him some phenobarbitol (anti-seizure meds) and his dips have ceased. (Praise the Lord). This medicine sedates him so he's not as active as usual. They also gave him some lasix to force some urination. By this morning, Britton had produced 15cc's of urine. They wanted at least 10, so another praise the Lord! Lastly, he had his head ultrasound last night at about 10 pm. We should get the official reports back after lunch, but the tech indicated it was good and there were no '4's' which is the most severe blood in the brain.

Britton comes off his hypotherapy blanket tomorrow morning and then they'll begin the warming process. We take all this positive info cautiously and are seeking God's face in the midst of this. We know each moment we have with him is just by the grace of God.

In my devotional reading today, I came across this from one of my favorite puritans, Octavius Winslow (1808-78)

Eternal love moved the heart of Jesus to relinquish heaven for earth—a diadem for a cross—the robe of divine majesty for the garment of our nature; by taking upon Himself the leprosy of our sin. Oh, the infinite love of Christ! What a boundless, fathomless ocean! Ask the ransomed of the Lord, whose chains He has dissolved, whose dungeon He has opened, whose liberty He has conferred, if there ever was love like His!
LEAN HARD!

"Cast your burden upon the Lord, and he shall sustain you." Psalm 55:22

It is by an act of simple, prayerful faith we transfer our cares and anxieties, our sorrows and needs, to the Lord. Jesus invites you come and lean upon Him, and to lean with all your might upon that arm that balances the universe, and upon that bosom that bled for you upon the soldier's spear! But you doubtingly ask, "Is the Lord able to do this thing for me ?" And thus, while you are debating a matter about which there is not the shadow of a shade of doubt, the burden is crushing your gentle spirit to the dust. And all the while Jesus stands at your side and lovingly says, "Cast your burden upon Me and I will sustain you. I am God Almighty. I bore the load of your sin and condemnation up the steep of Calvary, and the same power of omnipotence, and the same strength of love that bore it all for you then, is prepared to bear your need and sorrow now. Roll it all upon Me! Child of My love! Lean hard! Let Me feel the pressure of your care. I know your burden, child! I shaped it—I poised it in My own hand and made no proportion of its weight to your unaided strength. For even as I laid it on, I said I shall be near, and while she leans on Me, this burden shall be Mine, not hers. So shall I keep My child within the encircling arms of My own love. Here lay it down! Do not fear to impose it on a shoulder which upholds the government of worlds! Yet closer come! You are not near enough! I would embrace your burden, so I might feel My child reposing on My breast. You love Me! I know it. Doubt not, then. But, loving me, lean hard!"

3 comments:

Peggy Johnson said...

What a beautiful reminder! Danny and Emily and Britton -- WE LOVE YOU!! Our small group at church prayed for you as has my pastoral care staff here at Cook Children's.

Incidentally, we use the cooling blanket here in our acute NICU. I've chatted with our NICU chaplain and nurses and they are very impressed with Britton's progress, too. So be encouraged...God is nearer than your very breath and he is eager to save.

Love and prayers, as always,
Peggy

Mary-Dare said...

You are in our hearts. Just know that we are praying for you. Emily, I hope you are continuing to get your strength back. I can't imagine how exhausted you are, but when I read this blog I am amazed at your faith and resolve. I know there are no words to truly encompass all the emotions you have and no words that can be given to make the next minutes, hours, and weeks easier. Only God's peace and wisdom truly guides us in times like these, and he is doing just that with the both of you. Not now but in time you will look back and be amazed at yourselves and how far you have come. Just know that I and so many others stand in awe of God's grace and strength that he has already given you. My own faith has been strengthened by your example. Britton has been so blessed to have the two of you as parents. He truly is a beautiful boy!
John 14:27
My peace I give you; My peace I leave you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid!

Love,
Mary-Dare

Anonymous said...

We are leaning hard with you! We are so encouraged by his progress, but are continuing to pray for his complete healing. We are also praying for strength for the two of you as I know how draining this is. We love you guys.

Charis