Thursday, January 17, 2008

Boss! Boss! Da plane! Da plane!



We all need a little humor to begin our morning. This is Britton's Tattoo impersonation last night in a pre-burp pose.  As you can tell, now that his Phenobarbital has been lowered he is a lot more alert and active.  He'll actually keep a good stare going with you.

We just met with the Neurologist and he said the MRI looked pretty good with no seizure or stroke activity.  He was very encouraged.  The EEG did have a few abnormalities (jerky readings) but he said that could be attributed to the the phenobarbital which they are pulling way back on.  Overall they are very encouraged by his his progress.  He'll have another MRI before he is discharged which could be another two weeks from now.  He must be able to feed well, gain weight and not have anymore dips in his oxygen saturation.  Currently he's eating 10-15 ccs of milk every 3 hours.  We would love to get home but we recognize that he is getting the best care possible here.  All the nurses have been so great: Peyton, Holly, Amy, Jane, Robin, Pam, Suzanne.  Continue to lift them up in prayer as well as they care for this son of ours.  



I have been reading this week about joy and suffering.  I've been trying to reconcile the two together.  Our weeping has been intense at times, our frustrations have even been somewhat persistent, but thankfully our hope has not wavered--a hope built upon Christ's love for his people.  I can assure you God's grace has enveloped us because anyone who knows me (and I mean anyone) can attest that I wear my feelings on my shirt sleeve and my emotions can at times drive my actions.  Its a trait I wish was a little less developed.  But, I have had a peace like none other during this tumultuous time--as has Emily.  Your prayers and ours have been continually answered.  I fully believe that God is restoring Britton's brain, kidneys, heart, etc. though his people lifting him up in prayer and God is receiving the glory.  God is sovereign over not just the ends, but the means to the end.  God's plan to heal Britton was/is through the prayers of his people.  Prayer does move the hand of God and God delights in hearing the cries of his people.  I have been overwhelmed by the response of all of our family/friends.  I am at times numb to the news we have received (good and bad), but I rest soundly in the grip of God's grace.  This is taken from a message from John Piper.  It rings true in our lives:


    "Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal among you, which comes upon you for your testing, as though some strange thing were happening to you; but to the degree that you share the sufferings of Christ, keep on rejoicing; so that also at the revelation of His glory, you may rejoice with exultation. If you are reviled for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. Therefore, let those also who suffer according to the will of God entrust their souls to a faithful Creator in doing what is right."   I Peter 4


    I have come to see that pain and pleasure come to us not as opposites but as Siamese twins, strangely joined and intertwined. Nearly all my memories of acute happiness, in fact, involve some element of pain or struggle.


I have never heard anyone say, "The deepest and rarest and most satisfying joys of my life have come in times of extended ease and earthly comfort." Nobody says that. It isn't true. What's true is what Samuel Rutherford said when he was put in the cellars of affliction: "The Great King keeps his wine there"—not in the courtyard where the sun shines. What's true is what Charles Spurgeon said: "They who dive in the sea of affliction bring up rare pearls."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful picture! (The middle one) He looks like a little man. He's just so adorable!

Kim said...

that picture is hilarious! thank you for all of your words and sharing your thoughts and emotions with us all!