Friday, January 11, 2008

Let the weaning process begin

It is 8 a.m. on Friday morning.  Britton has now produced approximately 118 cc's of urine.  (I never thought I'd blog first off, and secondly if I ever did that I would discuss urine?!?!).  Amy is his nurse for the next 12 hours (7 a.m. to 7 p.m.) and we love her.  She is OCD (in a good way) which is great because every little wire is perfectly laid and he is positioned so well.  It is the most nurturing he can get right now on that cold blanket.

Beginning 30 minutes ago they began warming him .5 degrees every hour to get him to normal body temperature.  They will be checking his vitals every 5  minutes so we won't be able to touch him today. (It has been against everything you feel you should do as a parent to let him lie cold and naked every day--you want to pick him up and cradle him and kiss him).  This is a very important day as we pray he can stabilize at a normal body temp and all his organs will continue to improve.

We received a comment on our blog from Romania last night and it warmed our hearts.  The school we have done missions work since 2003 with is praying and they mentioned that they have adopted him as Romanian with all the prayers they have offered.  Both of us cried at hearing the outpouring of love for this child.  It is amazing that God is using this child at four days of age to draw people to their knees to lift him up in prayer.  Every miracle we receive is strengthening the faith of others and helping all of us see the wonder of God at work in this child.  Here is another snippet from my devotional this morning.   Each of these has been exactly what my heart needs.  At times up here I've been angry, confused, struggling to find hope, a poor husband to my recovering wife and yet Christ is here comforting me.

"Be of good cheer: it is I; be not afraid." Mark 6:50

Listen, then, to the voice of Jesus in the storm. It is I who raised the tempest in your soul, and will control it. It is I who sent your affliction, and will be with you in it. It is I who kindled the furnace, and will watch the flames, and bring you through it. It is I who formed your burden, who carved your cross, and who will strengthen you to bear it. It is I who mixed your cup of grief, and will enable you to drink it with meek submission to your Father's will. It is I who took from you worldly substance, who bereft you of your child, of the wife of your bosom, of the husband of your youth, and will be infinitely better to you than husband, wife, or child. It is I who have done it ALL.

I make the clouds my chariot, and clothe myself with the tempest as with a garment. The night hour is my time of coming, and the dark, surging waves are the pavement upon which I walk. Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid. It is I—your Friend, your Brother, your Savior! I am causing all the circumstances of your life to work together for your good. It is I who permitted the enemy to assail you, the slander to blast you, the unkindness to wound you, the need to press you! Your affliction did not spring out of the ground, but came down from above—a heaven sent blessing disguised as an angel of light clad in a robe of ebony.

I have sent all in love! This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God. This bereavement shall not always bow you to the earth, nor drape in changeless gloom your life. It is I who ordered, arranged, and controlled it all! In every stormy wind, in every darksome night, in every lonesome hour, in every rising fear, the voice of Jesus shall be heard, saying, "Be of good cheer: it is I; be not afraid."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise God for His love is everlasting! Britton will be in my prayers today as he comes off the cooling blanket. I know this is so hard for both of you and your strength has amazed me. You are both in my prayers as well. I am believing that God will bring full restoration to his body. He may be lucky, but we know that God is awesome too.=)

Peggy Johnson said...

God is here, whether we recognize it or not. And he is here with all of you: to hold, to calm, to love. He is whispering to Britton of his love and his plans for him.

More love and many more prayers than you can even imagine is surrounding all of you and holding you close.

My love, Peggy

Anonymous said...

Hi Danny. I don't know if you can remember me, but I was in the camp with you and the team the first year you came to Romania. And just a few days ago I was thinking about you and wondering if you had a blog and yesterday I found out from Cristi about little Britton. I'm glad that he is better and I'll keep you and your family in my heart and prayers :)