Friday, January 18, 2008

NICU


Last night was a tough evening.  It was the first time we experienced loss in the NICU.  So far, for the past 10 days we have seen sick babies getting better--one by one they slowly get better and are discharged with their families.  Last night, one of the babies did not make it and the reality of the preciousness and fragility of life became unpleasantly real again.  They made all families leave when the parents of the dying child came in to say good-bye.  We both began crying and praying for this family; knowing a fraction of the hurt and pain they are experiencing. We pray they know the peace of Christ in their life.  

They also admitted in their 4th ever baby on the cooling blanket therapy (Britton was the 3rd) whose mom had a similar situation as Emily.  Again we covet your prayers for Britton, the NICU staff and the families.  

I listened to this song yesterday from Red Mountain's CD.  It is a great prayer and song for us.  


Jesus cast a look on me, Give me sweet simplicity 

Make me poor and keep me low, Seeking only Thee to know 


All that feeds my busy pride, Cast it evermore aside 

Bid my will to Thine submit, Lay me humbly at Thy feet 


Make me like a little child, Of my strength and wisdom spoiled 

Seeing only in Thy light, Walking only in Thy might 


Leaning on Thy loving breast, Where a weary soul can rest 

Feeling well the peace of God, Flowing from His precious blood 


In this posture let me live, And hosannas daily give 

In this temper let me die, And hosannas ever cry!


3 comments:

Peggy Johnson said...

I am so sorry you experienced the death of a "neighbor's" child while you were in NI, but I am so grateful they have you to pray for them. Hope their chaplain took good care of them in the middle of a nightmare they wish they could wake up from. All of you and they are in our prayers.

My love,
Peggy

Anonymous said...

Hi Giffens, my name is Sara, and you don't know me from Eve...but I was linked to your blog from Victoria Roberts. I am certainly praying for your little man. I wanted to give you a link to another blog site of a friend a friend of a friend :) who had a baby at 23 weeks and they have been in NICU for nearly two months...their story might be a source of encouragement, knowing that other people are experiencing VERY similar things. Hope it helps in some way. thesherrillstory.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Spencer and I have been closely following the miracle that is Britton, and we are constantly amazed at God's grace and strength through this situation. Thank you for sharing your devotionals and your thoughts--your walk with God has been a strength for countless others.
Spencer and Katie Moore