Monday, January 21, 2008

2 Steps Forward - 1 Step Back

All in all this was a one step forward day, but it was a tad frustrating for all of us. First off, this was the first day that we commuted back and forth during a work day (at least for Danny) and I can assure you, we can't keep up this schedule.  We are both exhausted physically and emotionally.

As for the reports on Britton:  The doctor believes his kidneys are going to be fine.  His creatinin and BUN are on the high side of normal but trending downward (a good thing).  His platelet count was 210K which is great and his red-blood count (hematocrit) was 42.5, I believe, which is also good. He had several good feedings, as well, and was very alert for a good part of the afternoon (the times when daddy was studying for his ordination exams so I missed him). His phenobarbital level was still 31 which they would like to see drop into the teens so that it is at a non-sedating level. 


A remote & a Newcastle and he'd be just like daddy

The tough part of the day was hearing that he "d-sat'd" (dips in his oxygen saturation)for an exaggerated period this afternoon.  At times 20 seconds between breaths.  His heart rate was still strong though and they were sure that this was not seizure activity.  It was still frustrating to hear that.  They kept reassuring us that the fact that he never had to go on a feeding tube and went straight to the bottle is monumental. We were even told that just 7-10 years ago Britton most likely would not have made it.  The technology we have is that much better today. Thank you Lord for your perfect timing!  Britton will celebrate 2 weeks tomorrow and we are so thankful for his short life thus far.  I just wish we could celebrate here at home.  His care at the NICU is unparalleled and we keep praying for him and for our strength & stamina as well.

The fun part of the evening was that his Great Aunt Nancy and Great Grandpa Charles drove in from Charleston to pay ol' Britton a visit.  Grandpa and him even got the hiccups together! AND, it was Grandpa's 81st birthday today...not a bad way to party, huh?

Finally, another song that has ministered to me greatly during this time of uncertainty: http://www.redmountainchurch.org/rmm/alb/g2clips/track03.mp3

Help My Unbelief

I know the Lord is nigh, 

And would but cannot pray, 

For Satan meets me when I try, 

And frights my soul away.

And frights my soul away. 

 

I would but can’t repent, 

Though I endeavor oft; 

This stony heart can ne’er relent 

Till Jesus makes it soft.  

Till Jesus make it soft. 

   

Help my unbelief. Help my unbelief.  

Help my unbelief

My help must come from Thee. 

 

I would but cannot love, 

Though wooed by love divine; 

No arguments have power to move 

A soul as base as mine.  

A soul so base as mine. 

 

I would but cannot rest, 

In God’s most holy will; 

I know what He appoints is best, 

And murmur at it still.  

I murmur at it still.  


Help my unbelief. Help my unbelief.  

Help my unbelief

My help must come from Thee. 

3 comments:

stephen smith said...

Keep your heads up. You will have good days, not so good days, and down right bad days. But Britton sounds strong, and he has plenty of peolpe keeping him surrounded in prayer.

God Bless,

Stephen SMith

Sue Smith said...

Hang in there! We're all continuing to pray and believe w/U for each miracle Britton needs.Our
son,Stephen,& wife did this for 5 months by God's great grace;your time will be much shorter PTL! WE are blessed by your blog. Be again encouraged;we serve an awsome & all powerful God as we have already
seen. We love you all 3; U R our family,too. Love, Sue & Scott

Anonymous said...

I'm a friend of Lee and Jennifer Sheppard's and I've been praying for your family ever since I heard of Britton's birth. Our daughter was in the NICU for 27 days following her birth last March so, I can relate to your exhaustion of running back and forth to the hospital, trying to recover from a c-section and your husband going back to work and still trying to take care of everything at home. Keep the faith---you are all in my prayers and I am asking that God would be very real and present in your hearts and minds during this time.