Sunday, January 13, 2008

Mr. Wilson

Sunday, has been a good day. Today we got to spend as much time as we have had any day this week with him.  He actually looked around with us and responded to Emily's voice.  A friend even gave us a little CD player for the NICU and we have been playing some lullabies from one of our favorite groups, Innocence Mission.  Our morning began by visiting with Dr. "Doom & Gloom", who we now wonder if his title was appropriately given?!  He said Britton is much better off than they expected and he's making improvements every day.  Comments like these help us to recognize more and more the power of a sovereign God that hears the cries of His people.  One major thing we learned is that his tongue is apparently partially blocking his esophagus.  The pacifier helps put it forward to open up his airways.  This is most likely caused by the phinibarberelli ?!?! (anti-seizure meds)  We cannot attribute many of Britton's successes to anything but a miracle.   We are reminded of God's goodness with every strengthened breath inhaled.  
Obviously, when you get thrown into such a traumatic experience as this you can only turn to the things or Thing that gives you hope.  God's hand was made clear this week that He would guide us through this tumultuous event.  Seeing the body of Christ, specifically at Covenant Presbyterian, but even within the larger church as a whole has deepened our love for bride of Christ.  This week I became a father and in some ways finally became a husband.   The calling to love my wife as Christ loved the church has never been made more clear.  The depths of my emotions have swung from fear and anger to love and hope; all within a few days.  You just never imagine that your child may wind up in the NICU.  It has been a delight to meet the other fathers of NICU babies and share with them we are praying for them.  Britton has already enabled us to share our faith with countless individuals.  To bring God glory at less than a week old astonishes me.  But, people are seeing the beauty of Christ in a small fragile child.  

In my devotions this week, I have kept returning to Habakkuk.  It has been over a year since I studied the minor prophets.  But the events of the week kept reminding me of the frustration of Habakkuk.  This morning I read the book again are recalled how Habakkuk felt God had abandoned his anointed people--and then God shares that tragedy will come through the Chaldeans.  Habakkuk is outraged that God would use an unclean people to accomplish his story.  But, he does.  And then in chapter 3, Habakkuk begins stating the attributes of God:  Mercy, power, infinitude and closes with the most beautiful doxology.  By focusing on God he could now begin to grasp that God was in control.  Oh, I pray that my eyes are fixated upon Christ and no other during this time.  Lord, keep my attention on your goodness.  Help me to see how you are shaping Emily and me through Britton.

"Though the fig tree should not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines, the produce of the olive fail and the fields yield no food, the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will take joy in the God of my salvation.  God, the Lord, is my strength; he makes my feet like the deer's; he makes me tread on my high places.  Habakkuk 3:17-19



Lastly, here's a great pic of Britton and his new best pal, Mr. Wilson.  We kinda put this sock puppet in our shirts for him to pick up our smells when we leave it with him.  The pleasant aroma is found on his mother, the malodorous ones can be attributed to moi.  Don't worry Britton, your mom complains about them too!  He just looked so cute in the "buddy pose".  Right now, Mr. Wilson is his best friend!  Big prayer request for his EEG on Tuesday and a possible MRI on Wed/Thurs.

4 comments:

Elenturi said...

Still praying.
Thought I'd share with you something that came to my mind about five years ago. Actually, it's the chorus of a song you can probably find in your hymnbook. I'd never thought much about these words until I was praying one day and they came to my mind.
"Turn your eyes upon Jesus look full in His wonderful face and the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace."
I believe you are seeing and experiencing this even now. Keep holding fast to God, after all He is the anchor in our lives.
Love you all.

Anonymous said...

We're praying for little Britton every day! He is so precious with Mr. Wilson! We can't wait to meet him...Praying for tomorrow and wednesday's tests as well.
Mary T.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys - this is Ashley Spann, I worked w/ Elizabeth this summer at Southern Living. Meg Dedmon told me about your delivery - my brother's wife has twins in the NICU at Vanderbilt - they were born at 25 weeks! They are now 7 weeks old and growing every day. I would love to encourage you guys in anyway possible. Please email me at ashley_spann@timeinc.com if I can do ANYTHING for you guys - I'm praying for both of you and Britton. God has done a mighty work in my family through the NICU experience and early babies, I know He's doing the same w/ you also. Much love and prayer,
Ashley

Anonymous said...

Danny - we are all praying here in the STL for you all. I have a prayer request into the chain at Trinity so the saints there will pray too. Your devotion on Habakkuk reminded me of a few of my own minor favorites; for perseverance and patience, Micah 7:7, "but as for me, I will look to the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation, my God will hear me." I know God is hearing you right now, right here - and for hope, Amos 9:13 "the time is surely coming, says the Lord, when the one who plows shall overtake the one who reaps, and the treader of grapes the one who sows the seed; the mountains shall drip sweet wine, and all the hills shall flow with it."
You can be sure that Britton is the tiniest, most precious ambassador for Christ, even now.
Love, Rob P.