Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Ordination Night

It's hard to fathom that six years ago I was single, living in St. Louis, working for Xiotech and enjoying life--never expecting what the next 1/2 decade would hold. I began interviewing for the singles minister position at Covenant in the Fall of 2001. And now, in March of 2008, I am finally an ordained minister in the Presbyterian Church (PCA). I've gotten married to Emily, had a child (who made the grandest of entrances) and finished seminary at Beeson Divinity. Wow, what a long haul. It has been a pretty big blur to be honest.

But Sunday night was a special night to have many of my friends, family and colleagues join me in celebrating God's calling in my life. Dr. Frank Thielman provided the main sermon on 2 Timothy 4:1-8, "Preach the Word". Dr. Haygood and Rev. Steve Singletary gave the two charges and Dr. Hay prayed over me and extended the right hand of fellowship. My brother Scott and his wife Yvi provided the music. Below is a video of them playing the Prelude, All Creatures of Our God and King.



As an ordained minister in the PCA, there are now things I am able to perform that I wasn't prior to this service. Marrying, administering the Sacraments (Lord's Supper & Baptism) and giving the Benediction are those three items. So, this Benediction was my first act as a minister of the Gospel:



And afterwards, our friends Lucy, Frank, Kathy, Sally and Holly threw the best reception imaginable with a surprise cake and all! Here are some pictures of our celebration:



It was a huge honor. It was even somewhat of a coming out party for Britton as he was hiding out in the "cry room." The biggest surprise of the night was having Amy, one of our very favorite nurses from the NICU, attend the service. She spent some sweet moments after the service with Britton rejoicing in God's goodness over his little life.


Thank you to all of you who were a part of this special service! It was a wonderful night in the life of our family.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you guys. We would have loved to have come but we had family in from out of town. We hope you guys continue to be blessed.

Jake said...

Congratulations, Danny!

Steve Smith22 said...

Congrats Danny. You've come a long way from good 'ole Carrollton.

Steve

Grace said...

Congrats Danny! I'm sorry I had to sneak out of the service early (to get to work, overnight in the ER......) and couldn't say hello and congrats in person. Looking forward to seeing you all soon!