Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Doing Well Today

Lia Kate had a great night here at the hospital. She and I both got more sleep than I thought we would. I was able to get her to sleep in the crib (at home she sleeps in our bed) and even though she was woken up many times in the night for meds and vital checks, she went back to sleep every time. Didn't even whimper. I think part of the reason is that I didn't get up each time so she didn't know I was there. If she had seen me, she would have started crying and it would have been hard to get her back down. I'm glad she chose to sleep because we both needed it! The lab folks came by at 5:30 a.m. to draw blood. They always, always have to stick her at least twice b/c her veins are hard to get. It is hard to watch. Needless to say, that woke her up and we have been up and going since. The neurosurgery resident rounded early and told me that Lia Kate looks great, is doing everything she should be doing neurologically, and all she needs to do is drink more fluids. They finally took her off IV fluids to encourage her to drink more. Still waiting for the main doc to round and see what he says about discharge. I'm guessing we'll be here at least another night. The main reason is that they want to make sure no cerebrospinal fluid is leaking from the incision. The nurses say she looks too good to stay another night but we'll see what the surgeon says.


One interesting thing about her surgery that I didn't mention yesterday is that the doc said he will see 200 open myelomeningoceles for every 1 cervical meningocele. That means her case falls somewhere in the .5% chance range for occurrence. For some reason, our family is really good at hitting the one percents (my placental abruption, Britton's good outcome after anoxic birth injury, etc.) Lia Kate is falling right in line. I believe the doc said he'll only see a handful of these in his career. And her case presented differently than a typical cervical meningocele. Anyway, we are glad it's behind us and glad the doctor has given her such an excellent prognosis. We feel very blessed over this outcome.

Happy girl this morning! She is smiling, laughing, talking, eating, and drinking. They took her off IV fluids and disconnected her pulse ox, so she is mobile. She's been walking around and playing all morning.


Danny found a new way to dispose of a dirty diaper in a pinch -- stick it in a hospital glove and tie it up!

No comments: