Friday, January 9, 2009

Reflections From a Dad of One Year



It is hard to believe that Britton turned one year old today. I am in awe of God's graciousness to his life and ours. It is truly amazing to see how God uses the prayers of His people to bring Himself glory.



I've learned much about myself this past year--I still struggle to be a good husband and father and minister. All of which I need to repent for not loving my wife as Christ has loved the church, of not giving Britton the love and attention he needs when I am at home and for at times neglecting the calling God has placed in my life as a pastor. I live knowing that I'm a wretched sinner who is saved by grace..."Nothing in my hand I bring, simply to the cross I cling. Naked, I come to Thee for dress, Helpless, I look to Thee for grace. Foul, I to the fountain fly, Wash me Savior or I die". And I know, the righteousness that is mine is solely on Christ's behalf. But, it is a perfect righteousness. Thankfully my salvation is dependent not on my wavering faith but what my faith is in...not my prayers...but Who my prayer are to. I am overwhelmed at God's love and graciousness to Emily, Britton and me.



Over the past six months I've been able to preach at several churches in Alabama and I've used Psalm 8 as my text. "Out of the mouths of infants and babes, God ordains strength/praise". I've stated that this son of mine brought more people to their knees, caused more skeptics to seek, revitilized more prayer lives than I probably ever will as an ordained minister of the Gospel. God is so sure in who He is that he leaves the defense of His name to the cries of a child. Humbling!



I've looked back at many of my posts last January (I've posted far less after the camera captured 4-500 pictures a week of this little miracle. God was definitely protecting Emily's and my heart and shaping us for parenthood and deepening our marriage. I still lean heavily on some of the devotional material and Scripture that lept to the keyboard when all else was unexplainable. I thought I'd share of few of those quotes here:

"They cried out to the Lord in their trouble, and He saved them from their distress. He brought them out of the darkness and deepest gloom and broke away their chains. Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for men, for he breaks down gates of bronze and cuts through bars of iron." Psalm 107:13-16

"Cast your burden upon the Lord, and he shall sustain you." Psalm 55:22 "It is by an act of simple, prayerful faith we transfer our cares and anxieties, our sorrows and needs, to the Lord. Jesus invites you come and lean upon Him, and to lean with all your might upon that arm that balances the universe, and upon that bosom that bled for you upon the soldier's spear! But you doubtingly ask, "Is the Lord able to do this thing for me ?" And thus, while you are debating a matter about which there is not the shadow of a shade of doubt, the burden is crushing your gentle spirit to the dust. And all the while Jesus stands at your side and lovingly says, "Cast your burden upon Me and I will sustain you. I am God Almighty. I bore the load of your sin and condemnation up the steep of Calvary, and the same power of omnipotence, and the same strength of love that bore it all for you then, is prepared to bear your need and sorrow now. Roll it all upon Me! Child of My love! Lean hard! Let Me feel the pressure of your care. I know your burden, child! I shaped it—I poised it in My own hand and made no proportion of its weight to your unaided strength." Octavius Winslow

"Though the fig tree should not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines, the produce of the olive fail and the fields yield no food, the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will take joy in the God of my salvation. God, the Lord, is my strength; he makes my feet like the deer's; he makes me tread on my high places. Habakkuk 3:17-19



Thank you all for your prayers and following our journey through this blog. I recognize that Emily captures some wonderful pictures of Britton and our family. To some it may appear that everything is always wonderful and easy...but I can attest this has been a wonderful but difficult year. We have laughed much, but wept equally. We have been humbled by God's sustaining hand and yet I've questioned His calling and direction throughout. I am far from perfect. I mess up continually (thankfully, Emily has snapped far fewer pics of my idiocy) and we still covet your prayers. And, at the end of the day, we know we worship an amazing loving God whose plan for us is being revealed daily. Help us Lord to trust and obey.

Danny

Lastly, pray for Britton and I as we are still steamed at the teams in the Nat'l Championship Game. 45-35! Hook 'em Horns!

1 comment:

The Robertson Family said...

Wow, Danny. That was really touching. When I first saw the title of your post, I thought it said "Reflections from the Dad of the Year" ...and actually, that might not be far from the truth! (Of course, the only thing holding you back from that title is that pesky fondness for UT). We have really enjoyed watching Britton grow and thrive over the past year -- via the blog AND in person! He's made all of us better people.