Thursday, July 31, 2008

Happy Birthday, Emily

It's hard to imagine life without her! Emily has been a true helpmate these past three and a half years and has really challenged me to be a better husband and father. She's now finally the age I was when we got married!

In reflecting in our times together, I began recalling all the places we have been together...places that I can call "ours". The list is pretty strong in my opinion and she's made each of them more beautiful and more memorable: Lisbon, Portugal; Iasi & Bucharest, Romania; Riga, Latvia; Vilnius, Lithuania; Tallin, Estonia; Helsinki & Tampere, Finland; London, England; Tofino, British Columbia (Honeymoon!!!); Vienna, Austria; Rome, Siena, Florence, Italy; Kelowna, Canada; California (Rosebowl '06!!, San Francisco); Boston (World Series'07); Cape Cod; Texas (Austin--Hook 'em Horns, Dallas, Houston); Mississippi (all over but especially Oxford--Go Rebs); Grayton Beach, Florida; Nashville; Atlanta; St. Louis; Charleston; Aspen, Colorado; Deer Valley, Utah...plus I'm sure a few more.

Emily and I met in January 2004, had our first date in February of 2004, got engaged in June of 2004 and married on December 30, 2004. Yes, you could say it was love at first sight. She had all the qualities I was looking for in a wife: beautiful, excited about life, godly woman, loved to travel and she wasn't repulsed by me (a first!). She is the rock upon which I lean. We met while I was in seminary and that's the only "me" she knew until this past December. She's put up with my late night paper writing, my all-consuming desire to procrastinate, my obsession for the Longhorns and my OCD tendencies in house cleaning.

All this to say, Emily, I love you more today than any other day I've know you. I can't wait to see where God takes us next in life. You are an amazing mother and wife. Britton and I couldn't live without you!






Sunrays and Saturdays
Perfect starry nights
Sweet dreams and moonbeams
And a love that's warm and bright
Sunrays and Saturdays
A love that's strong and true
Oceans of blue and a room with a view
To live my life with you

At Ruby Falls, TN & Emily tearing up Snowmass

3 comments:

Ann Catherine said...

Danny! What a great post. I must say, it made me tear up a bit. You guys have been to some AMAZING places! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, EMILY!

By God's Design said...

Thanks, Danny, for the sweet words! What a fun surprise this morning. Can't believe we've been to all of those places...

Emily

The Robertson Family said...

Happy Birthday Emily!!!! I still notice 7:31 on the clock, in license plates, etc and always think of you and how it seemed like you always saw those numbers together. :-)

And Danny -- nice job.